What is the Strengthening Families™ Protective Factors Framework all about?
Strengthening Families™ is a research-based approach to working with families in a way that develops and enhances their strengths as a solution to their challenges. It is based on engaging families, programs and communities in building five protective factors: Parental resilience; Social connections; Knowledge of parenting and child development; Concrete support in times of need; and Social and emotional competence of children.
There are four big ideas that outline this approach to working with families:
- Families gain what they need to be successful when key protective and promotive factors are robust in their lives and their communities.
- As long as children are nurtured, safe and thriving, parenting along the mainstream isn’t essential.
- Developmental science tells us what is important.
Want to learn more? View or download the documents below, which explain these big ideas.
Strengthening Families in Arizona
Strengthening Families Across the Nation
The documents below, developed by the Center for the Study of Social Policy, offer an overview of each protective factor, how to make each protective factor actionable, and how the framework is being applied throughout the United States.
There are no upcoming trainings scheduled. To host a training, please email Claire@pcaaz.org
There are seven available Strengthening Families trainings:
- Introduction to the Strengthening Families Protective Factors
- Strengthening Families through Parental Resilience
- Strengthening Families through Social Connections
- Strengthening Families through Knowledge of Parenting and Child Development
- Strengthening Families through Concrete Support in Times of Need
- Strengthening Families through Children’s Social and Emotional Competence
- Wrap-Up of Strengthening Families Protective Factors
All trainings are designed to be between 1.5 – 2 hours in length.
Trainings can be packaged into a 12-hour training delivered over the course of two days.
Recommended audience size: 20-50 participants
Recommended audience: These courses are designed for any professional who works with, or on behalf of, children and families, such as early childhood home visitors, parent educators, early childhood education professionals, health professionals, and human service providers.
View the course catalog and descriptions: Strengthening Families Protective Factors Course Catalog
Interested in hosting a training?
For more information, please contact Claire Louge, Director of Training and Outreach, at Claire@pcaaz.org
For questions about the Arizona Strengthening Families Arizona project, please contact Claire Louge, Director of Training and Outreach, at Claire@pcaaz.org or (928) 445-5038